Roland takes digital hand percussion to a new dimension with the HandSonic HPD-20, a unique and versatile instrument that’s ideal for a wide range of music creators, from percussionists and drummers to electronic dance music performers, composers, and producers. Equipped with the renowned SuperNATURAL® sound engine and potent multi-effects, the HPD-20 offers 850 dynamic, ready-to-play sounds, plus the ability to import your own custom sounds via USB flash memory. 13 pads provide ultra-sensitive response and flexible control options for playing onboard sounds and external MIDI instruments with an incredible range of expression. The HandSonic pad interface also excels in computer music applications, where it’s perfect for playing virtual instruments, recording MIDI and audio performances in DAW software, and much more. And with its convenient trigger inputs, you can easily expand the HPD-20 with a Roland pad and hi-hat controller to build a super-compact percussion set.
- Powerful hand percussion instrument for live performance and studio music production
- 850 ready-to-play sounds include percussion from around the world, melodic instruments, drums, tones for modern electronica beats, and more
- Roland’s acclaimed SuperNATURAL sound engine delivers unparalleled tone quality and expressiveness
- Import up to 500 of your own WAV sounds via USB flash memory and assign them to pads
- Deep editing capability allows you to tweak and layer instruments and process tones with three independent multi-effects engines, ambience, and EQ
- 13 silicone rubber pads provide ultra-sensitive velocity response and a comfortable feel
- Dynamic pad assignments let you dampen, mute, and tune sounds for authentic performance of acoustic hand percussion like congas and tabla
- Roll button and Realtime Modify knob; D-BEAM for controlling sounds and effects with hand movements
- Easily capture performances and ideas with the Quick Rec function and export them as WAV audio files to USB flash memory
- Inputs for connecting a Roland pad and hi-hat controller (sold separately)
- USB Computer port for audio/MIDI communication with popular music software, including DAWs and standalone virtual instruments
DISCOVER THE POWER OF HANDSONIC
Going far beyond typical pad controllers, the HandSonic HPD-20 is a sophisticated hand percussion instrument with an amazing level of expressive power. It features 13 velocity-sensitive pads arranged in a circular configuration, with different pad sizes for maximum ergonomic efficiency. You strike the pads to play sounds, of course, but you can also touch or press a pad to dampen or mute another pad’s tone, adjust its pitch, and more. This lets you execute traditional acoustic hand percussion techniques with authentic results, and also create dynamic, unique textures that are perfect for electronic dance music and other modern styles. On the two largest pads, you can play with natural tonal variations, depending on where you strike the pads. Further sound control is available with the Roll button, Realtime Modify knob, and the famous D-BEAM, which provides a cool way to play sounds and manipulate effects with hand movements in the air.
PACKED WITH SUPERNATURAL SOUNDS
The HPD-20 comes with 850 onboard sounds that are instantly accessible and ready to play. At your command is an enormous library of ethnic percussion instruments from around the world, as well as melodic and orchestra percussion. Traditional drum kit sounds are also on tap, plus a large selection of electronic tones that are ideal for current music. All the sounds offer an incredible range of dynamic expression, thanks to the powerful combination of Roland’s SuperNATURAL sound engine and the ultra-sensitive response and unique functionality of the HandSonic pad interface. The HPD-20 provides 200 total kits—including 100 kits filled with ready-to-go setups—and you can freely modify any kit just how you like for any style or playing situation.
IMPORT YOUR OWN CUSTOM SOUNDS
In addition to its built-in sounds, the HPD-20 gives you the ability to import up to 500 of your own WAV sounds and play them from the pads. Just load up a USB flash drive with your favorite sounds from your computer, then connect it to the HPD-20 to import them, assign them to pads, and create your own kits. The types of sounds you can use are not limited to short percussion strikes—with up to 12 minutes of time available, you’re able customize your HandSonic with audio phrases, sound effects, backing music, and more. Once your sounds are in the HPD-20, you’re free to use them just like the onboard sounds, with complete editing and effects capabilities at your disposal. This includes the ability to continuously loop beats and other rhythmic sounds and start/stop playback with the pads.
DEEP EDITING AND DYNAMIC MULTI-EFFECTS
Inside the HPD-20 is a full set of powerful tools for creating all-new sounds. When building user kits, it’s possible to edit every instrument individually by modifying its volume, pitch, decay, and more. You can also layer two sounds together and assign parameters to blend or switch them dynamically based on your playing velocity. Three independent multi-effects engines—each equipped with 25 different effects—provide rich sound-shaping options, from standard chorus and echo to intense effects such as distortion, filter, and bit crush that are ideal for dance music and electronica. The Realtime Modify knob allows you to tweak pitch and effects as you perform for expressive sound shaping on the fly, and ambience effects and EQ can be applied to an entire kit for final sweetening.
QUICK REC AND USB
With the handy Quick Rec function, capturing a performance or idea is just a button press away. Play along with the built-in metronome for steady time as you record, or go without to capture playing without being constrained by a set tempo. Saving your recordings to a connected USB flash drive is just as easy—just hit the Export function button, adjust level and other parameters as desired, and save! You can back up your HPD-20 user kits and other settings to USB memory as well. The HPD-20’s USB Computer port makes it a breeze to connect to a Mac or Windows computer and use the powerful HandSonic pad interface to play virtual instruments and record beats in audio/MIDI music production software.
TRIGGER INPUTS AND MIDI
The HPD-20 excels as a standalone percussion instrument, but you can extend its capabilities even further with external devices. Via the TRIG IN jack, you can connect a wide range of Roland pad types for stick playing, or a kick pad for banging out beats from the floor. Add a Roland hi-hat controller to the dedicated jack and you’ve got a versatile and super-compact percussion kit! MIDI I/O provides even more possibilities, allowing you to trigger HPD-20 sounds from V-Drums, SPD-series pads, keyboards, and more, or play sounds on other instruments from the HandSonic.
- 10 inches, 13 sections, Pressure-Sensitive
* An external trigger input is provided, allowing you to connect a pad (sold separately).
- Kit Chains
- 15 chains (50 steps per chain)
- User Instrument
- Number of User Instruments: Maximum 500 (includes factory preloaded user instruments)
Sound Length (total): 12 minutes in mono, 6 minutes in stereo
File Format: WAV (44.1 kHz, 16 bits)
- Multi-Effects: 3 systems, 25 types
Ambience: 10 types
3-band Kit EQ
- Quick Rec
- Resolution: 480 ticks per quarter note
Recording Method: Realtime
Maximum Note Storage: approx. 30,000 notes
Export File Format: WAV (44.1 kHz, 16 bits)
Realtime Modify knob
- Graphic LCD 64 x 128 dots
- OUTPUT (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
PHONES jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
MIX IN jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
TRIG IN jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
HH CTRL jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
FOOT SW jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
MIDI (IN, OUT) connectors
USB COMPUTER port: USB Type B (Audio, MIDI)
USB MEMORY port: USB Type A
DC IN jack
- Hi-Speed USB (USB Audio, USB MIDI, USB Flash Memory)
- Power Supply
- AC Adaptor
- Current Draw
- 700 mA
- Owner's manual
- Options (sold separately)
- Kicks: KD series
Pads: PD series, PDX series, BT-1
Cymbals: CY series
Hi-Hat Control Pedal: FD series
Pad Stand: PDS-10
Carrying Bag: CB-HPD
Foot Switch: BOSS: FS-5U, FS-6
Pedal Switch: DP-2
Personal Drum Monitor: PM-10
USB Flash Memory
* Use USB Flash Memory sold by Roland. We cannot guarantee operation if other products are used.
- Size and Weight
- 311 mm
- 404 mm
- 102 mm
- 2.4 kg
5 lbs. 5 oz.
If you have questions about operating your Roland, BOSS or Cakewalk product, please check our Knowledge Base for answers to the most common questions.
You can also contact our Product Support department by phone or email.