Roland’s new FA series completely reimagines the music workstation, streamlining it for effortless real-time power, ultra-fast workflow, and maximum versatility. Ready to support any type of music you play, the FA-06 is packed with a massive sound collection inherited from the flagship INTEGRA-7, a ton of studio-quality effects, and expressive real-time controls, plus onboard sampling with zero load time for instant audio playback from the 16 backlit pads. The sequencer features simple operation and non-stop loop recording, letting you capture songs and ideas as they come and export them as multitrack data to use with your DAW. Flowing seamlessly into every part of your creative world, the FA-06 morphs instantly from a standalone keyboard to become the command center of your computer music studio, with USB audio/MIDI interfacing, powerful real-time controllers, DAW transport controls, and much more.
- Reimagined music workstation designed to maximize your creative flow
- Light, mobile body with 61-note velocity-sensitive keyboard
- Over 2000 sounds from the flagship INTEGRA-7 sound module, including SuperNATURAL® synth and acoustic tones and drums; add even more tones via internal wave sound expansion slots
- SuperNATURAL synth engine is fully compatible with the expansive collection of free INTEGRA-7 synth tones available from Roland’s Axial sound library site
- 16-track sequencer with non-stop loop recording makes it easy to build songs quickly; export your sequencer tracks to an SDHC card as a complete stereo mix, or as multitrack audio or MIDI data for use in your DAW
- Onboard sampler based on the SP-404SX features 16 pads x 4 banks and direct recording/playback via SDHC cards
- Polish your sounds with a multitude of studio-quality effects, including 16 independent MFX engines, six COMP+EQ processors for drums, unique TFX (total effects), and global EQ, chorus, and reverb
- Tweak tones, effects, and external MIDI devices in real time with six user-assignable Sound Modify knobs
- Intuitive, streamlined interface with large color LCD
- Press one button to instantly configure the FA-06 for use with your DAW via USB
- D-Beam, Rhythm Pattern, Arpeggiator, and Chord Memory functions to expand your creative palette
- Guitar/Mic and Line input jacks for performing, sampling, and DAW audio recording; dedicated input reverb provides ambience for performing/recording
- USB ports for sound expansion data, updates, and audio/MIDI interfacing with a computer; MIDI communication with the iPad is possible when using Apple’s iPad Camera Connection Kit
No Work, All Play
Music workstations play an important role for keyboardists in a wide range of creative activities, from live performance to song development to production in the studio. However, they can often be complicated and difficult to use to their full potential, bogging down the creative process and inhibiting the flow of ideas. In developing the FA series, Roland has completely reimagined the music workstation to provide musicians an inspiring platform that’s extremely powerful and versatile, yet simple and intuitive at the same time. With a streamlined interface and focused, practical features that maximize your creative flow, the FA series allows you to experience newfound freedom to deeply explore and develop your musical ideas with less effort than ever before.
Perform and Record with a Massive Selection of Roland’s Very Best Sounds
The true measure of any music workstation lies with the quality and diversity of its sounds. Filled with over 2000 tones directly inherited from the INTEGRA-7, Roland’s flagship pro sound module, the FA series truly delivers in this area and then some. All of the INTEGRA-7’s SuperNATURAL® synth and XV-5080 PCM tones are onboard, plus an essential collection of ultra-expressive SuperNATURAL acoustic tones that includes pianos, organs, drums, bass, strings, and more. The FA-06’s sound engine is fully compatible with the large, growing collection of INTEGRA-7 synth tones available as free downloads from Roland’s Axial sound library site, and it’s also possible to expand the onboard sound set with FA-series wave sound expansion collections.
Capture Ideas and Create Songs Without Interruption
Simple yet powerful, the FA-06’s intuitive 16-track sequencer has been designed to let you capture your inspiration as it happens—recording is always just a simple button press away, ensuring that you’ll never lose an idea. In a flash, you can build a full arrangement with the FA-06’s huge array of sounds, and with continuous recording in loop mode, you’re able to fill up all 16 tracks without ever stopping! In addition to real-time capture, step recording is also possible, and you have complete control to edit and mix your tracks as you go and save your song to an SDHC card as a stereo audio file. It’s also possible to export your tracks as individual WAV audio files and/or MIDI data for further development in your DAW, making the FA-06 a powerful sketchpad for capturing initial sparks that will form the basis for your full-scale computer music productions.
Seamless Hardware Integration with Your DAW
In addition to standalone use as a performance instrument and composing workstation, the FA-06 transitions into your computer-based music production world with ease. A simple press of the dedicated DAW Control button instantly sets up the FA-06 to communicate with your computer via USB*, letting you use the keyboard and knobs to send MIDI data to your DAW for playing software synths, controlling plug-in effects, and more. The FA-06 also includes control maps for popular DAWs, providing a quick and easy setup to control transport functions and more in your specific software. You can even use the FA-06 as a USB audio interface to record a variety of different sources directly into your DAW, including a mic, guitar, or stereo line level device connected to the FA-06’s rear-panel input jacks, and you can capture the FA-06’s internal sounds and sampler playback as well. Sound output is also supported, allowing you to monitor the DAW output through the stereo output and headphones jacks on the FA-06.
*USB communication requires installation of the FA-series USB driver on your computer.
Instant-Access Performance Sampler Onboard
Based on Roland’s mega-popular SP-404SX, the sampler in the FA series features fun, fast, hands-on operation and sampling/playback via convenient SDHC cards. You can play audio samples directly from the 16 pads on the FA-06 panel, making it easy to expand your performances with loops, backing tracks, one-shots, vocal phrases, sound FX, and more. Thanks to SDHC flash memory, your samples load instantly with no wait time, and you can use the four pad banks and clipboard function to rearrange your samples as needed for any performance. It’s super-easy to sample the FA-06’s own sounds or external sources via the Mic/Guitar and Line inputs, and you can even play WAV, AIFF, or MP3 samples that you’ve transferred from your computer. A variety of editing features allow you to tweak your samples to taste, including quick adjustment of playback position and level. In addition to sample triggering, the pads can be used for numerous functions such as muting parts, entering numeric values in the display, and more.
Enhance Your Sounds with a Wide Range of Simultaneous Effects
With its large selection of pro effects, the FA-06 provides numerous options for polishing your sounds and sequencer tracks to studio-level perfection. Independent MFX engines are available for all 16 parts of a Studio Set, giving you an enormous level of sound shaping for both live playing and song mixing. Each MFX engine contains 67 different effects types to choose from, with an additional option of a vocoder when MFX are used with Part 1. Six separate COMP+EQ processors are dedicated for individual drum sounds, while global EQ, chorus, and reverb are on tap to add a finishing touch to any of your parts as needed. With the unique TFX (total effects), you also have the ability to process the entire output of the FA-06 with dramatic effects such as DJ FX Looper, Isolator, and many others. All the effects can be tweaked in real time via the Sound Modify knobs, making it simple to enhance your keyboard playing, sampling, and sequencer tracks with dynamic sonic textures.
Fast Workflow and Intuitive Real-Time Control
You can feel the speed of this new breed of instrument the moment you hit the power switch—unlike many workstations that can take a minute or more to boot, the FA-06 is ready to play in seconds. The panel is logically organized into dedicated sections, and the large color LCD presents a gorgeous look with inviting hi-res graphics for selecting tones, working with the sequencer, and adjusting various settings. It’s easy to navigate through the FA-06’s large sound selection by category and assign favorites for fast recall, while dedicated buttons deliver instant access to often-used functions such as transpose, octave range, and many others. With six knobs and a powerful yet easy-to-use assignment matrix, the Sound Modify section lets you control a wide range of parameters in real time for maximum expression while performing live and working in the studio.
- 61 keys (with velocity)
- Sound Generator Section
- Maximum Polyphony
- 128 voices (varies according to the sound generator load)
- 16 parts
- SuperNATURAL Acoustic
SuperNATURAL Drum Kit
PCM Drum Kit
* GM2 compatible sounds are included.
- Wave Expansion Slots
- 2 slots
* The wave expansion slots are rewritable internal waveform memory. You can download data from the Axial sound library site and write it via a USB flash drive into the FA's internal wave memory (slot).
- Multi-Effects: 16 systems, 68 types (Vocoder can be used only on part 1.)
Part EQ: 16 systems
Drum Part COMP+EQ: 6 systems
Chorus: 3 types
Reverb: 6 types
Master Compressor (This can be changed to Insert FX (78 types).)
Total Effects (TFX): 29 types
Mic Input Reverb: 8 types
- MIDI Tracks
- File format
- Original, SMF export/import supported, WAV export supported
* Sampler trigger data can be recorded.
- 16-bit linear, 44.1 kHz, WAV/AIFF/MP3 import supported
- Maximum Polyphony
- Number of Samples
- 16 Pads x 4 Banks (for each song)
* Samples cannot be used as wave data for the sound engine.
- Rhythm Pattern
- Chord Memory
- D-BEAM Controller
Pitch Bend/Modulation Lever
Assignable Switch x 2 (S1/S2)
Control Knob x 6
- 5-inch Graphic Color LCD
- External Memory
- SD Card (SDHC supported)
- Headphones Jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
MAIN Output Jacks (L/MONO, R): 1/4-inch TRS phone type
Sub Output Jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
AUDIO INPUT Jacks
LINE: Stereo miniature phone type
GUITAR/MIC: 1/4-inch phone type
FOOT PEDAL Jacks (CTRL 1, CTRL 2, HOLD)
MIDI Connectors (IN, OUT)
USB FOR UPDATE Port
USB COMPUTER Port (USB Hi-Speed AUDIO/MIDI)
(Use a USB cable and a computer with a USB port that support USB 2.0 Hi-Speed.)
DC IN Jack
- Power Supply
- AC Adaptor
- Current draw
- 1,300 mA
- Quick Start
Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY"
SD Card (installed in the product when shipped from the factory)
SD Card Protector (installed in the product when shipped from the factory)
- Options (sold separately)
- Keyboard Stand (*1): KS-18Z, KS-12
Pedal Switch: DP series
Expression Pedal: EV-5
USB Flash Memory (*2)
Wireless USB Adapter: WNA1100-RL
*1 When using the KS-18Z and KS-J8, ensure that the height of the unit is one meter or lower.
*2 Use USB Flash Memory (supports USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Flash Memory) sold by Roland. We cannot guarantee operation if other products are used.
- Size and Weight
- 1008 mm
- 300 mm
- 101 mm
- 5.7 kg
12 lbs. 10 oz.
If you have questions about operating your Roland, BOSS or Cakewalk product, please check our Knowledge Base for answers to the most common questions.
You can also contact our Product Support department by phone or email.